Imagine the Possibilities
A first-generation immigrant discovers her dream career.
An inner-city kid becomes the first in his family to attend graduate school.
People learning from others' experience.
A school without barriers that fosters success.
That’s diversity. That’s University of the Rockies.
Diversity at University of the Rockies
Diversity at University of the Rockies means we encourage students of all cultures and experiences to seek higher learning opportunities and learn from one another. At University of the Rockies, we define diversity by the difference we make in people’s lives. Diversity is more than just our mission statement — it is who we are.
Watch alumni explain how diversity, a core value at University of the Rockies, has been a significant and positive aspect of their experience at the institution.
Awards and Recognition
- 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2013 – INSIGHT Into Diversity’s Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award
- 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012 – G.I. Jobs Military Friendly School
- 2014 – INSIGHT into Diversity Magazine recognized Vice Provost Dr. Amy Kahn as a Diversity Visionary with a lifetime achievement in diversity award.
- 2014 – Profiles in Diversity Journal selected Provost Dr. Tina Parscal as one of the Women Worth Watching.
- 2014, 2013 – Profile in Diversity Journal’s Innovations in Diversity Award (Honorable Mention).
- 2013 – Commandant’s Marine Corps Executive Forum (MCEF) recognized University President Dr. Charlita Shelton as one of only 20 former US Marine Corps members who is currently a senior business executive or influential business and community leader.
- 2013 – The Corporation for National and Community Service named University of the Rockies on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll
- 2013, 2010 – Colorado Springs Diversity Forum’s Raising the Bar Award
- 2012, 2011 – Southern Poverty Law Center’s Teaching Tolerance Mix-it-Up School Award
- 2011 – Profiles in Diversity Journal selected Janet Brugger as one of the Women Worth Watching
- 2011 – Profiles in Diversity Journal’s Diversity Leader Award
- 2011, 2010 – Profiles in Diversity Journal’s International Innovation in Diversity Award
- 2010 – Profiles in Diversity Journal selected Dr. Shelton as one of the Women Worth Watching
- 2010 – DiversityBusiness.com recognized Dr. Shelton with the 2010 Champion of Diversity Award
Issues of diversity have been recognized as integral to the successful and ethical functioning of institutions of higher education. Research demonstrates that students of traditionally underrepresented ethnic backgrounds remain underrepresented in institutions of higher education. Research also suggests that a number of factors help to attract and retain diverse students, including the presence of:
- Faculty and staff who are sensitive to diversity issues;
- Support for diverse students, both academically and in a strong sense of community;
- Opportunities for multi-faceted areas of study; and
- Availability of mentors and advisors.
To ensure that we reach our strategic goals for diversity, the University of the Rockies is implementing the following four Core Initiatives:
Recruiting and Retention
- Attract and retain the best-qualified faculty, staff, andstudents for optimum achievement.
- Create procedures, policies and practices that are inclusive of our entire community.
- Establish an environment that demonstrates respect and value for differences.
- Provide forums for discussion and open exchange of ideas.
- Assess the curriculum for learning outcomes that incorporate diversity knowledge, skills, and attitudes.
- Assure that these learning outcomes are being achieved.
- Review pool of curriculum developers for multiculturalism among developers and material.
Training and Education
- Create educational opportunities for students to learn about the variety of diversity topics.
- Provide forums for exposure to learn from one another.
- Implement a deliberate process for training classes (students, staff & faculty) to drive diversity results.
For more information, please email at email@example.com.