External Scholarships

University of the Rockies // Admissions and Financial Services // External Scholarships

External Scholarships

University of the Rockies highly encourages students to apply for external scholarships and grants. While this list is not exhaustive, it should be helpful and a good starting place for grants and scholarships.*

Scholarship Name Contact Information Description
American Association of School Admin www.aasa.org Must be a graduate student currently enrolled in an educational administration or educational leadership program.
American Association of University Women www.aauw.org Offers a variety of graduate fellowships and grants to women who are pursuing advanced degrees.
American Indian Graduate Center www.aigc.com For American Indian and Alaskan Native students from federally recognized U.S. tribes who are pursuing Master's, Doctorate, and professional degrees in all fields.
American Psychological Association www.apa.org Offers a variety of scholarships, including financial assistance to minority students enrolled in a full-time doctoral program in the field of psychology, and to those working with issues of diversity. Recipients must be American citizens.
American Sociology Association http://www.asanet.org/funding/mfp.cfm Fellowship program designed for minority students sufficiently advancing in a sociology Ph.D. program. Application must include essay, letters of recommendation, and transcripts. The annual stipend for each award (August 1 - July 31) is $18,000.
Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute, INC. www.chcinextopp.net Must be a Latina/o enrolled as a full-time graduate student and a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Must demonstrate financial need, be active in public service-oriented activities and have good writing skills.
Federal Employee Education and Assistance Fund www.feea.org/programs/scholarships Must be a current civilian federal or postal employee or family member with three years of federal service or a dependent family. Scholarships range from $1,000 - $5,000. 
Ford Foundation Diversity Fellowships for Minorities http://sites.nationalacademies.org/
Offers dissertation, predoctoral, and postdoctoral fellowships to those committed to a career in teaching and research at the college/university level. Must be a U.S. citizen.
GLAAD Dissertation Fellowship www.glaad.org The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation offers two awards of $5,000 each to support the study of media and representation as it relates to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people. Must have knowledge of and commitment to GLBT issues.
Guide to Graduate Fellowships for Minority Students The Black Collegian Magazine:
1240 Broad Street
New Orleans, LA 70125
All fields, graduates, U.S. citizen or permanent resident, minorities only.
The Heritage Foundation-Lawrence Wade Journalism Fellowship 214 Massachusetts Ave., N.F. Washington, DC 20002
Must be full-time students working toward a degree, however it does not necessarily have to be journalism or a communications related field if the student works in journalism outside of school. The fellowship is for excellence in journalism and preference is given to African-American, Hispanic, Native American, and Asian students.
Institute for Humane Studies www.theihs.org A variety of scholarships are available for graduate students.
Institute for Recruitment of Teachers www.andover.edu Helps minority students seek advanced degrees in teaching, counseling, and administrative careers. IRT has Intern and Associate programs. The IRT program provides extensive assistance throughout the graduate application process.
Japanese American Citizens League www.jacl.org Various undergraduate and graduate scholarships available to members of the JACL or for those whose parents are members of JACL. To find out about membership, contact the organization.
Malyon-Smith Scholarship Award www.apa.org/about/division/div44.html The American Psychological Association's Division 44 (Society for the Psychological Study of Lesbian and Gay Issues) offers this award to support graduate student research into psychological issues relevant to gay, lesbian and bisexual individuals, groups or communities.
National Science Foundation www.nsf.gov/funding/aboutfunding.jsp Fellowships are awarded for graduate study leading to research-based Master's or Doctoral degrees in the fields of natural science, social science supported by the NSF. Applicants must be citizens, nationals, or permanent resident aliens of the U.S. Each three-year fellowship provides a stipend for 12-month tenures, and a cost-of-education allowance.
National Women's Studies Assoc. www.nwsa.org Provides financial assistance to graduate students doing Master's thesis or Ph.D. dissertation research in the interdisciplinary field of women's studies. Students do not need to be enrolled in a women's studies program. Preference is given to candidates who are National Women's Studies Association (NWSA) members.
Point Foundation www.thepointfoundation.org Must be either an active member of the GLBT community or a contributor to the GLBT community in the form of leadership and dedication. Must be a U.S. citizen. Apply on-line.
J.W. Saxe Memorial Fund www.jwsaxefund.org $1,500 offered to graduate students working in public service fields. The award is meant to enable students to gain practical experience in public service by taking a low paying or no pay job internship by supplementing their income. Preference given to students who already have an internship lined up.
Leopold Schepp Foundation Grants in Aid 551 Fifth Avenue, Suite 3000
New York, NY 10176
Grants up to $7,500 are available to a limited number of full-time graduate students who demonstrate financial need.
Social Science Research Council (per term) www.ssrc.org For full-time students in a program leading to a Ph.D. in a social science field who wish to consider a career in teaching and research on Africa, Central Asia and the Caucasus, China, Latin America, the Caribbean, the Near and Middle East, South Asia or Southeast Asia.
Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA) www.womenoftheelca.org Must be a laywoman over the age of 21 and a member of an ELCA congregation.


* This document may contain, now or in the future, links to other websites, such as links to discounts or offers, or other third parties that may provide services or products to you. These links and this information is being provided to you for your convenience and as a resource. University of the Rockies is not responsible for the privacy practices, the content of, or any other actions of such other websites or their owners or operators, information they may collect or information they may share. Further, the inclusion of an organization on this document does not indicate an endorsement of such organization (or of any religious or political point of view promoted by such organization) by Bridgepoint Education or its affiliates.

External Scholarships pageTitle:, pageUrl:, pageId:, pageDescription:,