Frequently Asked Questions

University of the Rockies // Military // Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What documents are required for students to receive the University of the Rockies Military Grant?
Student must provide and meet the appropriate requirements to qualify for the University of the Rockies Military Grant:

  • Submit application for admissions to University of the Rockies with all grant-verifying documents;
  • Provide proof of active duty or military status by submitting one of the following forms of identification:
    • Statement Of Service, Leaving and Earnings Statement, Certificate Of Eligibility, Marriage Certificate (spouses), Fry Scholarship Certificate of Eligibility, eBenefits website screenshot or milconnect website screenshot, VA Education Statement of Benefits; or
  • Submit a DD-214, for Veterans not utilizing VA Educational Benefits or who have exhausted benefits.
    • Character of Service must be Honorable. Veterans with under honorable discharge status may qualify for the grant providing they qualify for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment benefits. Dishonorable do not qualify. A copy of the Marriage Certificate will be required with spouses DD-214; and
  • Remain enrolled or return as scheduled from an approved break.

Students who withdraw from the program and resume at a later date will be required to re-verify eligibility for the University of the Rockies Military Grant.

When will my courses be certified to the US Department of Veterans Affairs?
Upon successful submission of required documentation, the University of the Rockies’ Military Specialist will certify your courses with the US Department of Veterans Affairs no later than the Monday following the start of your first course. Future courses will be certified on a quarterly basis.

I served on active duty after September 10, 2001 but served less than 36 months. Am I eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program?
While Post-9/11 service members who served less than 36 months may be eligible for partial GI Bill funding, they do not qualify for the Yellow Ribbon program. Yellow Ribbon is for those who have served an aggregate of 36 months or more on active duty after September 10, 2001.

I am currently on active duty in the Army, Navy, Air Force, US Marine Corps, or Coast Guard. Am I eligible to receive a military grant?
Yes, University of the Rockies wants to be pro-active in helping active duty military members earn their degree.

Can my spouse also receive the military grant benefits?
Yes! You'll be glad to know that University of the Rockies has extended its Military Grant to include spouses of Active Duty, National Guard, Reservists, and Veterans.

What is the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship and who is eligible?
The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) currently pays a benefit equal to the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Click here for rates). Beneficiaries attending school may receive up to their full tuition and fees for a public school or a statutory annual maximum amount for a private school, plus a monthly living stipend and book allowance under this program.

The benefit is available to the children and surviving spouses of service members who die in the line of duty after Sept. 10, 2001.

Please visit the US Department of Veterans Affairs Frequently Asked Questions page for additional information about the GI Bill.

Frequently Asked Questions pageTitle:, pageUrl:, pageId:, pageDescription:,